Saturday 11 August 2012

Baby's Day Out

Yesterday was extremely tiring, so I wasn't conscious enough last night to write a blog post. So this morning will have to do.. It might always have to be this way if I'm constantly as busy as I have been!

So yeah, yesterday was a day I had to myself. Daniel was studying, so I went into the town centre by myself. The metro is simple, so getting there wasn't the problem. Once I was there, then I had a problem. Washington DC is absolutely massive. The buildings are massive. The roads are massive. As soon as I got off that metro (and as a British female who is directionally challenged), I had no idea where I was. So I just walked until I found a map.. which was a good 20 minutes or so.

I then somehow came across the Natural History Museum, which was absolutely incredible! I mean, as soon as I walked in..there was a dock off elephant just chilling in the middle of the room! (Obviously not real.. But it was very life-like). So I moved through the rooms and saw a variety of things; African/Australian/American/Arctic animals, ocean life, fossils, dinosaurs, rocks, gems, diamonds- absolutely tonnes of awesome stuff (few picture below). I felt/looked a bit weird going around on my own, but it was kind of nice to just read things in detail and for once stay silent for a bit :)

Next, I really wanted to go to the National Art Gallery, so I looked at the map and decided getting around was easy peasy. So I walked up to this huge extravagant building, waited in line for about 15 minutes and then ended up in this massive white hall with signs saying things like 'learning centre', 'rotunda', 'public vaults'.. and I was just thinking what the !£&#*?! And so I continued through the building looking as though I wanted to be here and went through rooms that were full of like old American immigration documents and a whole load of stuff I just didn't get... I looked at the leaflet that I grabbed at the entrance and it said 'The National Archives Experience'.. What the hell what is this?! So I tried to find my way out and came across the 'Magna Carta'.. Okay so I might have heard of this.. Had a quick look.. Zzzzzzzzz then escaped. What a bloody boring building. So maybe I didn't get the way around DC..

Luckily, at this point I remembered that I took a few screen shots of the map of DC on my phone, and the gallery was pin pointed... I did get there.. Eventually. Unfortunately, I was really really tired at this point and my seg-leg was still aching.. So my adventure through the gallery was actually quite short as I wasn't concentrating as much as I usually do in galleries. My eyes were literally dropping as I got to the last room of 'small French paintings'. That being said.. I did see a lot of cool paintings and wrote down some artists names that could come in use when I start Uni again.

Now I was tired, hungry, hot and parched.. So I decided to get on the metro and stop off at 'Foggy Bottom' where I could go to the Wholefoods Market (Hannah, you would have loved this even MORE than 'sweetgreen') and eat something...something healthy as well.. Especially after a day of cupcakes.

After that, Daniel came and picked me up. Americans call it the 'kiss and ride'.. Where you pick/drop people off. That's really weird isn't it?

In the evening we were going to the Kennedy Centre (JFK).. Which is a place where about 3000 plays/concerts are put on each year (as JFK was such a fan of the performing arts.) So I whacked on a posh dress and went to see 'Sheer madness'.. A murder mystery where the audience get to actually interrogate the actors with questions and actually vote on who the murderer is and how the play ends! It was brilliant! (And the longest running play in American history- 27 years.) Didn't get any photos of it unfortunately.. I got my camera out and got shouted at by an old lady who worked there..

After the theatre, we (Me, Daniel, his girlfriend Jamie and his brother William) went for a bit of a night drive to see what all the monuments look like at night time. Absolutely amazing. They're all completely lit up and almost sparkle (?) whilst it's dark... Especially the Washington Monument. Wish all of you could literally see how awesome they all look.. I tried to get some good photos.. But they really don't give it justice.

- Back home to bed. Again, completely shattered (another word Americans don't understand!)

- Got another really busy day/night today as well.. My feet hate me.

Missing you guys.


Hola'

P.S- mum and dad will laugh at this. Whilst I was in the natural history museum I literally and honestly jumped out of my skin because I turned around and saw two foxes stuffed. Tears in my eyes at this point.. It was disgusting. So i looked away and took photo. Gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment