Monday 20 August 2012

Changing of the Guard.

Okay..the post title definitely gives today more credit than it should have.

I've been extremely lazy and unhealthy today.

I got up out of bed at around 9:30 after skyping mama and pap.. which is actually quite late for me (well.. me in England anyway- always keen for my 7:45 get ups!) So after a shower, I basically bummed around doing nothing until about noon. Listened to music, read the online paper, did a lot of Facebook stalking, read hundreds of tweets, stared out the window, nommed on sour sweets, painted my nails... and then skyped and got serenaded by the lovely Jon and Selina.

Bam. It was noon. So Daniel came knocking saying that we'll be going to Arlington Cemetery in a bit.. so I made myself look half presentable and then headed out.

Arlington Cemetery is a military cemetery where soldiers and veterans of various wars throughout American history were buried... Along with the tomb of the Kennedy's and the tomb of the unknown soldier (which is what I came to see).

Just so I don't bore you too much, I will very briefly tell you what the tomb of the unknown soldier is. It basically refers to a place where the remains of an unidentified soldier was buried.. representing all of those who died and were unable to identify or considered 'unknown' during the war. So out of respect and remembrance for all those at war, present soldiers in the army take up an extremely prestigious role (one of the greatest of honours) of being a guard that marches back and fourth 21 steps, every 21 seconds on every half hour. And on every half hour.. The guard is replaced by another guard and they perform an extremely precise routine, which I'm not going to explain (because I can't.. remember?.. it goes on for quite a while) They do this non stop. It really is quite incredible. I've read up on what it takes to become one of these guards and what kind of laws they have to abide by.. and honestly, they really are incredible. Have a read about them, they really are interesting: (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-vetscor/1126293/posts)

So after that one adventure.. We drove to the town of Arlington where we bought our last Pinkberry frozen yogurts. It was me and Daniel's last day together before he goes to university tomorrow so we had to get big ones!

Then back to the house where I bummed around doing a lot of nothing for hours! A lot of YouTube watching with Daniel.. and comparing the British and American senses of humour! It's bad.. but I laughed: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0yuFy_qjolU

More sweets and chocolate eating.

Dinner with the fam.. followed by more of my birthday cake. It's definitely well and truly gone now!

Downloaded iBooks on my phone, bought a couple of books and now here I am reading a really cheesy book that you'd laugh your head off at if you knew the title of it... But I'm not going to tell you. Not up for being ridiculed. Britta you'd love it too! ;)

Sweets and chocolate nomming.

Off to read some utter cheese.

Love y'all.

Hola'

No comments:

Post a Comment