Thursday 23 August 2012

Last (full) day in DC

It was my last day in Washington today, as you probably guessed from the title.

I'm feeling quite sad.. which is weird because I would have thought I'd be absolutely raving to go home and leave the foreign land.. But I feel a little bit part of this niche here in Washington. I've grown really fond of this wonderful family.. It's been hard to say my goodbyes. The thought of going back to reality and back to cloudy grey skies scares me a little!

Of course I am looking forward to seeing my family, friends, doggie and having a cosy sleep in my bed.. But I really am saddened by the fact that my little USA adventure is over. Already! It feels like only yesterday that my tummy was full of butterflies and when the thought of being here made me feel sick! It wasn't scary. It wasn't scary at all.

It was awesome.

So anyway today, I went and met the parents at their work place for lunch. They showed me around their amazing buildings (which had fountains, gyms and a lot of Spanish people!) and then took me for lunch at their canteen- I say canteen loosely as they had incredible food from what seemed like every country in the world!

I then went on a little mission and tested my knowledge of the way around DC. I found my way to the National Portrait Gallery, had a gander around the place and then headed to the other National Gallery of Art. Both fantastic places.. I could spend years in them. But after buying my grandma some arty cards and coasters ... I was ready to head back as my feet were blistering and I was limping badly (which was nicely pointed out by the guy in the gift shop.. thanks)!

Back at the house I started to unload the wardrobes and pack my suitcase... Wah :/ I'm slightly concerned that my bag will be over the limit.. But I guess I will just have to sort that when I get to the airport- meh!

The parents get back, I whack a dress on and out to dinner we go (which I, slash my parents paid for as a massive thank you for all of the things they have done for me.) to an Afghan cuisine restaurant? Sounds really strange but it was so good. Kebabs, dumplings, rice, chicken, hot bread.. All very tasty. Wish they had more Afghanistani food in England! Hah!

Back to the house for a heck load of ice cream before I pack the rest of my suitcase, lay my airport clothes out (and my running clothes- yes I am going for a run in the morning!) and then dive into bed for my last sleep in the U S of A!

...and here I am :) feeling really awake. Would love to stay and ramble.. But I think I will continue reading the rest of Book number two.

Going to miss this place.


Love y'all.

Hola'

No comments:

Post a Comment