Wednesday 8 August 2012

Segwaylicious

So after my long and nerve wracking flight I proceeded through customs. American customs. It really is scary. You some how convince yourself that you're going to get caught, sectioned and searched in front of the whole airport.. then finally get internally examined to expose all the drugs that you're hiding... Well in my case, it was a granola bar.. I genuinely was petrified about the fact that I had smuggled a granola bar across the border. I had read on the plane that you can't bring food into the country.. So I was like ah crap, do I declare my granola bar? And if I do, does this mean I have to hand it over so I don't get my granola bar? Or if I don't declare it and have a bag search, would I not only have my granola bar taken off me but also have a fine too? Well I wanted my granola bar.. So I bit the bullet and DIDNT declare it. But anyway, I went through customs lookin' relaxed and keepin' my cool .. Handed over my passport (that looks absolutely nothing like me by the way) and the security man looked at it with a really uneasy and irritated expression on his face.. Oh crap, they think I'm a fake. Oh Christ... "what made you change your hair colour?!" the man said winking at me! HAH. I swear Mum and James have passed their worry onto me.. Because I've been fretting about everything!!

Anyway, I grab my case off the spinning thing and head for the arrivals gate. That bit, right then, was the moment I was dreading. My heart literally felt like it was mosh pitting in my chest. It was insane. The doors open and I'm squinting around looking.. Then I finally spotted half of the family I am staying with. My nerves were unnecessary.. They're really lovely.

My first night was quite a blur actually. I arrived at the house, which is very nice, big and open plan like a lot of American houses. Then I unpacked and basically just conked out. I was shattered because I was on London time (5 hours behind you).

So the next morning, I was told that I was going on a Segway tour all day! Awesome.. What the hell is a Segway?! Its one of those motorised thingys with two wheels that you stand on and move by only the power of your balance (leaning forward and back). I thought to my self at this point, oh Jesus I cant even ride a bike, I'm not going to be able to do this.

It was easy. Yeah the first step up onto it was like woaaah I'm going to fall. But it literally becomes natural after about 5 minutes. They really are incredible. On the tour, we basically zoomed through the city of DC in single file. It was a 3 hour tour and luckily enough, I got to stop off at all the monuments. The white house, Washington monument, Lincoln memorial, WWII mural, Eisenhower's executive office building and many more. It was awesome. I've posted a few photos of them further down. One funny thing, the tour guide was obviously talking about American history a lot and at one point basically slagged off the British for things in the war. Awkward. Good thing she didn't know I was British (well at that point anyway..) A few people have pointed out my accent and I certainly got a few funny looks on the metro.

One of the sons I'm staying with doesn't know some of the words I have said. Posh- he had no idea.. he can't even say the word! Taking the piss- definitely definitely not the same slang here! I also tried and tried to explain what a chav was but I just couldn't get the message through... I thought he'd get it with 'a rough young person with chains and track suit bottoms'- nope. Just a weird stare back.

Anyway, apologies for the rambling on. I fell asleep writing this last night just like you probably are reading it. So I had to finish it this morning and probably missed out a hell of a lot of stuff.

Also, I left my hair mousse at home. So, I look like bloody Diana Ross right now. Not good.

Oh and I have a lot of amazingly cool things lined up for the next week or so.. So stay tuned!!

Hola'

No comments:

Post a Comment