Sunday 19 August 2012

Bad Blogger

So, I've been a bad blogger for a tiny bit. I have a good excuse.
It was my birthday yesterday, so..
1. I hate my birthday, so I wouldn't want to broadcast my scrooge-ness.
2. I was slightly too busy/tired to write up a post.
And 3. I totally forgot to take lots of pictures of that FABulous day.. so I don't have much to show of yesterday (and today in fact..)

So, this post will be relatively short. I will be more productive in my last 5 days :D.. Promise!

My birthday- woke up and opened up my cards alone in the bedroom like a loser :) I only did this in case I cried or something.. But luckily, I didn't. I laughed my head off instead.. at the card my family sent me from the UK. (pictured below.) They're kind of 'in jokes' so you may not get them. I also got a lovely card and some wish lanterns from Britta.. Which were very sweet :) so thank woo.

Anyway, had a big cooked birthday breakfast and then went out for a bit to do some things with the parents of the family. Won't bother explaining what we did because it will bore you even more! Just ran errands. (I did insist that I don't get birthday fuss because I hate that.. So that's why I did low key stuff hah Scrooge!)

I then went to the local swimming pool with Daniel for a quick swim and a sunbathe because it was such an awesome day... And maybe because I am going to be put to SHAME when I get back as I have not got a tan in the slightest.. and I'm in the USA! Jeez.

So by the time we got back it was pretty much dinner time... and because the family I am staying with is part Brazilian.. They threw me a Brazilian feast (kind of). Started off with a Caipirinha, which is Brazil's signature drink.. consisting of Cachaca (strong sugarcane spirit), lime juice and sugar. Simple.. And it really was awesome. It tasted so darn good! Definitely bringing that recipe back to the UK! We then had traditional Brazilian food, so things like beans, rice, beef fillets, vegetables, cheese bread etc... again, awesome. Loved every bit!

Next was the worst bit.. The hiding under the table part.. Except I really couldn't get away with that here! The massive chocolate cake with candles came out with the song being thrown at me. Cringe. It was very lovely of them to make such an effort for my birthday though.. :) I even got gifts! Gym stuff, a Washington key ring and American chocolate bars that I apparently 'need to try!!'

Hah I said this was going to be a short post.. Yeah perhaps I lied.

So that was pretty much my birthday.

So as a 20 year and 1 day old person, it was time to go and visit the woman that got me here in Washington in the first place... I haven't told you my connection to this family yet.. as its slightly strange.

Basically, my grandfather's sister (Auntie Pooh- nicknamed after Winnie the Pooh.. God knows why..) lives here in the USA. She never had any children of her own.. So she took in an exchange student from Brazil (the dad in this family) and practically raised him/paid for him/half adopted him. Over time, my mam, her sister and parents met him and got to know him a little bit. (He fancied my mammy and wrote her Portuguese love letters- haha!) But anyway, 30 years down the line.. He got married and then had his own family.
After hearing about this, I (slash my grandparents) got hold of Auntie Pooh and randomly organised a trip for me! So this family was more that happy to have me here.. I guess because of my great aunt being his 'American' mum and all. Bam. That's why I'm here.. (still awake..?)

My great aunt is also very ill so we all paid her a visit today in Baltimore. We had lunch with her and her new husband at the retirement community. (And yes, new! She got remarried two years ago at the age of 80! He was also one of her best friends when she was like 6.. and they reunited! They're adorable.)

Woah bet you're bored.

Anyway la-dee-da.. After hours of catching up and saying big goodbyes...we came back and had dinner.

Aaaand stupidly just stuffed my face with starburst and sour patch kids.

Bleh.

Nighty Night.


Hola'


P.S that photo of the motorcyclist is completely random... just for you munsey!


1 comment:

  1. Such an awesome read - please don't think you're boring or rambling etc. I read a lot of blogs and my favourites (that's yours included!)are the ones written just like this! Enjoy the rest of your week :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete